The mission of Sertoma Centre, Inc. is to provide opportunities that empower individuals with disabilities to achieve personal success.
Sertoma Centre, Inc. envisions communities where all people with disabilities live, work, and fully participate.
The following values are essential to the success of Sertoma Centre:
- We are committed to the Empowerment of Consumers First and foremost, in an environment that promotes Self Advocacy and personal success.
- We value our continuing relationship with the sponsoring Sertoma Clubs and their core value of SERvice TO MAnkind.
- We demonstrate Integrity through honest and fair interactions and by taking Responsibility for our actions.
- We embrace an environment that encourages Respect for all.
- We foster Innovation and the free exchange of ideas among stakeholders.
- We believe in the power of Teamwork.
- We provide excellent Customer Service through our commitment to positive relationships with all stakeholders.
In 1971, three local Sertoma Clubs created a sheltered workshop in Alsip, IL called Sertoma Job Training Center. The purpose of the facility was to create a place for individuals with disabilities to work. The 3,000 square foot facility was built on land donated by the Lombard family and opened with 11 individuals and four staff.
In 1987, the name was changed to Sertoma Career Center, and served over 200 consumers. The facility also expanded to 43,800 square feet. Throughout the 1990s, additional programs were added and Residential Services opened Sertoma’s first Community Integrated Living Arrangement (CILA) home.
Sertoma Centre opened its second location in 2000, on 127th street in Alsip. This facility is home to sub-contract packaging and training services, developmental training and school transition.
After renovations at the 123rd street building were completed in 2002, additional programs such as our Senior Services, Bridge Program, Developmental Training, Administration, Trans-portation and Janitorial Services (J-Team) were expanded or added.
In 2009, Sertoma Centre moved its Mental Health Psychosocial Rehabilitation Program to Matteson, Illinois and expanded in 2014 to become a comprehensive community mental health center. In 2016 we opened our first Permanent Supportive Housing unit.
We continue to grow and expand our services.
Certifications & Accreditations