The Edge Employee Development Services Program is an innovative and individualized service that develops skilled employees through a diversified, time-limited and accessible transitional training program. Edge assists persons seeking employment to develop or reestablish, skills, attitudes, personal characteristics, interpersonal skills, and work behaviors to achieve positive employment outcomes. Edge is targeted to both students who are transitioning from special education to adult services and to adults who need to develop skills necessary in obtaining competitive employment.
Edge provides assessment of employability and develops employment skills to assist individuals to participate fully in their communities. Students experience volunteer work and job exploration while being taught work related job skills, computer skills, resume building and interviewing. Graduates enter the work force with a working portfolio, self-inventory profile, and interviewing experience and skills. Services are provided to adolescents and adults with a disability.
Services and supports provided to address:
• Attendance and punctuality
• Grooming and hygiene
• Job-seeking skills (interviewing, completing applications, using job-finding resources)
• Work related community skills (time & money management, transportation training
• Functional literacy skills
• Knowledge of work practices (insurance, benefits, safety)
• Work related communication & interpersonal skills (anger management, conflict resolution)
• Work ethics
• Work culture (chain of command, work relationships, grievance procedures
For more information contact the Director of Employment Services at 708-730-6265.
Did you know?
Sertoma Centre’s Snack Shack celebrates 3 year anniversary
The Snack Shack is a training program where consumers sell different types of snacks, drinks and lunch options. The consumers get to learn customer service skills as well as operate a cash register. The consumers complete an application and participate in an assessment and interview before they are selected to participate in the training. The consumer is selected as an Intern (the individual who retrieves the orders) or as a Trainee (the individual who collects the money).
To provide the supports, training and skills necessary to obtain community employment to students who are transitioning from special education to adult services and to adults who need to develop skills necessary to achieve positive employment outcomes.
The Edge Employee Development Services Program is an individualized time limited service that assists persons seeking employment to develop or reestablish skills, attitudes, personal characteristics, interpersonal skills, and work behaviors to achieve positive employment outcomes. This is accomplished through assessment of employability and development of employment skills on site and at community job sites through job exploration, training at job sites, and volunteer work while being taught work related job skills, computer skills, resume building and interviewing skills.
1. At least 16 years of age
2. Willingness to participate in services needed to secure community employment.
3. Demonstrates potential and interest to work in the community.
4. Funding availability and approval.
Opportunities to transition to other programs/services both internally and externally are available and based upon the individual’s choice, needs, preference, and availability. Refer to the Program Accessibility Chart for Sertoma service options. Discussions regarding transition can occur during the service plan meeting or a special meeting can be convened as needed.
1. Transition to Community Employment Services.
2. Consumer not benefiting from services.
3. Services no longer desired.
4. Funding terminated
5. Referral to alternative services.