The overall objective of the School Transition Program is to provide a well-integrated vocational training program to high school students who are currently participating in a special education program or are eligible for special education through their local school district. In addition to meeting work credit requirements for graduation, it is also the purpose of this program to assist students to recognize interests, to acknowledge and develop individual abilities, to assist students to obtain appropriate community-based assessments and to guide students to appropriate vocational goal and training of their choice so that they can lead productive lives.
Sertoma Centre’s School Transition Program provides vocational programming for high school students, who are age 16-22 with developmental, learning, emotional or behavioral disorders who are preparing to enter the work force. The goal of the program is to help the student make a successful transition from the school environment to the work place.
- At least sixteen (16) years of age but not yet twenty-two (22).
- Enrolled in or eligible for a public school Special Education Program.
- Ability to self-medicate, if medications are taken while at Sertoma Centre.
- Diagnosed with a developmental, learning, emotional, behavioral, or psychiatric disorder.
- Able to give informed consent to participate in the School Transition Program him/herself or through a guardian.
- Funded by the school district.
TRANSITION CRITERIA: IEP Team will convene to discuss programming needs as requested and or needed. Refer to the Program Accessibility Chart for programs/services availability.
- The student reaches the age of twenty-two (22).
- The student graduates from the public school special education program.
- The student successfully completes all IEP goals.
- The student has been referred to another program.
- The student has obtained community employment.
- The student and/or guardian choose to terminate services.
- The behavior of the student places him/herself or others in danger.
- Sertoma Centre, Inc. can no longer meet the needs of the student.
- Student is not benefitting from services.
- Funding is terminated.
SCOPE OF SERVICES:
Population(s) served: High School students (age 16 through 22) with developmental disabilities, learning disabilities, mental illness, behavioral disorders, emotional disorders, physical disabilities, dually diagnoses DD/MI or others, etc.
Hours/Days of service: Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Frequency of Services: Students can attend on a full-time or part-time basis depending on their need.
Payer Source: Local school districts or private pay.
Fees: There are no fees aside from community outing costs or special events costs.
Referral Sources: Local school districts and families.
- Individualized Vocational Evaluation
- Vocational Training
- Community-Based Assessment of work skills (available through Sertoma’s Insite Training Systems).
- Skills Training: Social Skills, Assertiveness, Basic Conversation, Anger
- Management, Job Readiness, Financial Literacy, Circles (groups developed based on need/interest)
- Independent Living Skills: Self-Advocacy, Diversity Awareness
- School Transition Community Government
- Community Integration Opportunities
- Behavioral Rewards Store and Token Economy
November 8, 2010